fredag 16. mai 2008

INTERVIEW WITH SELF ON LATEST DEVELOPMENTS MAY O8

EVIL TWIN:
I understand that since the last time we did this you've had some success in the world of freelance journalism? So now what? Do you think you're good or something?


ME:
First of all, thanks, yeah, I have had a bit of success. I sold a story on monday to that science publication 've been writing for – and this was a piece I just put together and sent off without any pitching or sales signals. Always great with a bit of a surprise sale. And then, yesterday, I sold my first radio-documentary to Norwegian public radio. All very exciting – and once again it was sold without any previous arrangements. So yeah, I sort of think I'm good now. I have a bit of confidence about my ability to do stories. Especially in the radio-field. I have done radio for broadcasting before but never on public radio – it feels nice to know that my work meets their standards. But this newfound confidence will undoubtedly fade quite quickly – it is a harsh gig this thing. So what now? We are working on a pretty heavy political thing for radio about the military coup in Fiji and what the junta is doing with the media there. I got some new contacts now at NRK so I hope I can sell that one too. We're also doing an English version for Radio NZ or BBC or whoever wants it. Now, that is exciting and a great barrier to breach. And then there's the prostitution story...


EVIL TWIN:
Yeah, I heard about that. You sure that's not just an excuse to visit brothels and meet with hookers on a regular basis?


ME:
Well... I'm actually quite scared of hookers, believe it or not. I feel intimidated by a lady when she has to postpone a meeting because she has a “job” coming up at 1pm... But the story looks interesting and hopefully I'll be able to put together something good for Norwegian media. I want to sell it to a big women's magazine but the last story I sent to them has been with hem for over a month now. No feedback, no nothing, although I cleared t with them before I did it. I dunno what to do. I may try another magazine or newspaper. Maybe one of those weekend-things in one of the tabloids are interested...


EVIL TWIN:
But this prostitution thing... hasn't that story been done to death?


ME:
No, I don't think so. What I'm trying to do is to look at what happens when prostitution is legalised. It seems that not much happens at all, actually. It's still totally socially unacceptable to be a hooker, to buy one is still frowned upon, and most prostitutes are still drug addicts and ive very much on the fringe of society. The only difference seems to be that now when it's legal, the government doesn't care about it anymore. This means that they're not actively working to prevent underage prostitution for example. It's perceived as being OK, when in fact the whole industry is full of crime and abuse.


EVIL TWIN:
So what you're saying is that making it legal doesn't change anything?


ME:
That's right. By legalising it the industry is just swiped under the rug and forgotten about. It is allowed to just grow into whatever it becomes.


EVIL TWIN:
Hmmm... that actually sounds pretty interesting... But how can you write about this with any authority and understanding unless you actually try some of their services? It's not exactly Gonzo, is it? To just “talk” to people and transcribe their comments? What happened to going into the story?


ME:
Well... didn't analyse the platypus genome either, and I managed to get a story published on that. I didn't apologise to the aboriginal people in Australia either. Nor did I set up my own radio station for the LPFM-story for NRK... And I'm not trying to be a Gonzo, really. I love reading it but I don't think it's for me. Maybe in some years when I'm more confident about my writing and journalistic abilities. Right now I'm just trying to get published in a range of publications, make a living, do what I want to do. I really don't think that hanging out with the Mongrel Mob for a year doing an exposé is up my alley at the moment. But perhaps in the future.


EVIL TWIN:
But don't you have to show some balls if you want that “break”? I mean, if you're gonna write something people will remember you have to take some chances, don't you? You can't just pick up the phone and ask people to “explain the situation”?


ME:
True. But I've only been doing this freelance-gig for couple of months and I'm still working on finding my niche too. Right now it looks like radio-documentaries can be my thing. And that can be done with a bit of Gonzo-attitude. For radio you have to “go there”. You can't really do a 15 minute doco with sound clips from phone conversations... You have to do something and “go there”. Radio also has a lot of room for ambience and sound illustrations. I like that. You can paint pretty cool images with sound. Humour, fear, sincerity – all these feelings can be illustrated with sound. I find that fascinating.


EVIL TWIN:
That's just because you can sit in front of your computer and play around with sound effects from that huge library of yours like a geek.


ME:
Yeah, well, I love that stuff, putting together sound montages and skits. But it's also a it boring... After a few months of working from home you do get a bit sick of sitting in front of the screen. What is really fun is to go out there, talk to different people, to conferences, to their weird workplaces, offices, studios and houses, to meet random people with a purpose, you know. Like yesterday I found myself at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Auckland doing an interview with the former vice president of Fiji, the dude who was toppled by the military coup in 06, and he spoke really frankly, totally straight forward – exactly what I wanted. I met two cool chicks from a pacific radio station, I shook hands with some Sir who was part of writing the Fijian constitution etc. etc. There's a lot of random things happening. That's what I like about this gig.


EVIL TWIN:
And the free food and drinks at the conferences of course.


ME:
Of course.

Ingen kommentarer: